Monday, March 21, 2011

Please Support me on my Walk for Healthy Babies!

One day, every baby will be born healthy. Until then, I will walk on April 9, 2010. I will walk for the second year with the Phoenix March of Dimes.

Team Owen and Liam was created to honor my friend's twins, Owen and Liam Damko. They were born October 14, 2009, 4 months early - weighing just 1 lb 6 oz and 1 lb 5 oz each. For 100 days, we all watched these babies fight and grow and accomplish milestones in the NICU at St. Joseph's Hospital here in Phoenix. We all prayed for our friends & new parents, and were devastated when Liam Frederic Damko passed away on January 22, 2010 after 100 days.
This experience made me even more proud and fortunate to be a mother, and I will always remember and respect our friends for their amazing courage through such a tragedy. They were also blessed with their surviving son, Owen, who will turn 2 years old in October and brings so much joy and hope into their lives.

Too many families have stories similar to this one because every day, thousands of babies, like Owen & Liam, are born too soon, too small and often very sick.

Last year through generous donations, Team Owen and Liam raised money to support March of Dimes research and programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies and babies begin healthy lives. And it will be used to bring comfort and information to families with a baby in newborn intensive care.

This year, I invite all of you to join us in our march for babies here!

1 comment:

Owen's Mom said...

Thank you Candis! I'm lucky to be able to call you my friend.